- Personal information we collect
- How we use your personal information
- Your choices about how we use your personal information
- Your rights and how you can access, control and correct your personal information
- How we might share your personal information
- How long we keep your personal information
- Cookies and similar technologies
- How we protect your personal information
- Global Privacy Standards
- Other important privacy information
- Contact us
The present Privacy Notice is valid from 25.05.2018. The Privacy Notice valid until 24.05.2018 can be found here.
mobile.de GmbH takes your privacy and the protection of your personal data very seriously. In compliance with data protection regulations, we only process your personal data if permitted to do so by law or if you have given us your consent. This Privacy Notice describes the collection, use, disclosure, storage and protection of your personal data.
mobile.de GmbH, Albert-Einstein-Ring 2-6, D-14532 Kleinmachnow Dreilinden, is the operator of www.mobile.de (hereinafter the "website") and the data controller in the sense of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Whenever the words "we" or "our" are used in this privacy notice, these refer to mobile.de GmbH as the data controller.
We are responsible for the collection, use, disclosure, storage and protection of your personal information in accordance with our global privacy standards and applicable law. As described in this privacy notice, we may share your personal information with other members of the eBay group of companies who have undertaken to comply with our Binding Corporate Rules (BCRs). We may process and store your personal information in our data centers in the European Union, in the United States and worldwide.
This Privacy Notice describes the collection, use, disclosure, storage and protection of your personal information. It applies to the mobile.de and automobile.fr websites as well as all websites affiliated with them and to any applications, services or tools (collectively "services") that refer to this privacy notice, regardless of how you access or use these services, including access via mobile devices.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may change this Privacy Notice at any time by publishing the amended version on this site, including the coming into effect of the amended version. We will let you know of all material changes to this Privacy Notice by e-mail.
Personal information we collect
We collect, use and store personal information about you and the devices (including mobile devices) you use in the following cases: when you use our services, create an account, provide us with information through a web form, add or update information about your account, participate in community discussions or chats, or otherwise communicate with us. We also use social network plug-ins that allow these social networks to collect data.
Some of your personal data (e-mail address, billing address, if applicable) are required to complete and execute the User Agreement. All other personal information is optional, but may be necessary to use our services, such as: the offer or contact information required to post an ad.
We may also collect personal data from other sources, as listed below.
Personal information you give us when you use our Services or register for an account with us:
- Identifying information such as your name, addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses or your User ID (if applicable) which you provide when registering with us or disclose to us in any other way.
- Posting ads, responding to ads, data you provide in a transaction or funding request, and other transactional content that you generate (such as adverts and other content that you generate or that is connected to your user account, your search queries, the advertisements you view and save or search, the use of the contact function in the advertisements or financing requests); this also includes the pseudonymized information that we collect when a call has been made to the phone number shown to you individually in an ad.
- Other content that you generate, or that is connected to your account (such as dealer ratings and comments on dealer ratings).
- Financial information (such as credit card or bank account numbers) in connection with the use of one of our billed services.
- In some instances, when you use our services, you may provide age, gender, interests and personal preferences.
- Data which you provide through a web form, by updating or adding information to your account, through your participation in community discussions, chats or when we communicate with you for other reasons.
- Recordings of telephone conversations with our customer service, on the condition that we have obtained your consent to the recording in accordance with applicable law.
- Data that we are required or authorized to collect and process under applicable law and that we need in order to authenticate or identify you or to verify the information we have collected (including suspected violations of our General Terms and Conditions, such as for example, if permitted by law, an identity card or a utility bill to verify your address or identity).
Personal information we collect automatically when you use our Services or register for an account with us:
- We collect information about your interaction with our services, your advertising preferences, and your communication with us. This is information we receive from devices (including mobile devices) you use when you access our services. This information could include the following: device ID or unique identifier, device type, advertising ID, and unique device token. This data is only assigned to you when you log in as a registered user, or if you have provided your e-mail address or other identifying data when using our websites, applications, services, or tools.
- Location information, including geolocation data from your mobile device. Please keep in mind that most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services by any application on your mobile device in the device's settings menu.
- Computer and connection information such as statistics on your page views, data traffic to and from the websites, referral URL, ad data, your IP address, your browsing history with regards to our website and services, and information from the web server log files.
Personal information we collect using cookies and similar technologies:
- For more information about our use of these technologies, and how to limit them, see our statement regarding cookies, web beacons and similar technologies.
Personal information collected from other sources:
- We supplement the personal information we collect directly from you with information collected from third parties and add it to your account information. The information that we collect from third parties is, for instance, demographic information that is publically available, additional contact information, credit check information, and information from credit bureaus and other authorities, where permissible by applicable national laws.
- Social Media: We allow you to share information with social networks or to connect your account with the respective social media site. These social networks may give us automatic access to certain personal information about you held by them (e.g., content viewed by you, content liked by you, and information about the adverts you have been shown or have clicked on, etc.). You control the personal information you allow us to have access to through the privacy settings on the respective social networks and the permissions you give us when granting us access. When you connect an account managed by a social network with your account and authorize us to have access to this information, we use the information provided by these social networks in accordance with the present privacy notice.
- If you give us personal information about someone else, you must do so only with that person's authorization. You should inform them how we process their personal information according to our privacy notice.
Personal data collected by social networks (social media plug-ins)
- Plug-ins of the social networks of Facebook Inc., USA ("Facebook", verview of Facebook plug-ins) and Twitter Inc., USA ("Twitter") via the "Tweet Button" or "Follow Button" are integrated on our website (more information about this can be obtained by clicking on the link of the respective network). If you visit a page of our website that contains such a plug-in, the plug-in establishes a direct connection between your browser and the server of the respective social network. The provider of the social network receives the information that you have visited our website with your IP address. If you click on the plug-in while logged into your user account, you can link the contents of our website to your social network profile. This allows the social network to associate your visit to our website with your user account. We wish to inform you that as a provider of our website we have no insight into the content of the transmitted data and its use by the provider of the social network. For more information, see the privacy notices of the social networks, which you can access here for the social networks Facebook and Twitter.
- Please note that you must be logged out of the user account of your respective social network when you visit our website and do not want your social network to associate your visit to our website with your respective user account.
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information for a range of different business purposes and according to different legal basis of processing. The following is a summary of how and according to which legal basis we use your personal information.
We use your personal data in order to fulfill and execute the contract with you and to make our services available to you (Article 6(1) (b) GDPR) in order to comply with our legal obligation (Article 6(1) (c) GDPR) or to protect your vital interests (Art. 6(1) (d) GDPR). This includes the following cases:
- To grant you access to and enable the use of our services (including billing), in particular to post advertisements and other user content, to provide the express selling service and to facilitate the execution of funding requests, and to assess and improve the quality and the performance of our services, to keep our services secure and ready for use, and to tailor the content of the website and services to what you might like based on the actions you have taken;
- To ensure the accuracy of the data and to verify it with third-party providers;
- To provide you with the requested customer service via e-mail or by telephone, in particular to contact you after arranging an express sale appointment with a mobile.de dealer, for example to send you appointment confirmation and reminders or otherwise assist you with regard to the appointment;
- To give you access to your stored vehicles and searches and other features offered by us;
- To contact you regarding your account, to solve problems with your account, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed or as otherwise necessary to provide you customer service (when contacting you for such purposes as outlined above, we may contact you via e-mail, telephone, text messages, postal mail, and via mobile push notifications.
- We use general location information to provide you with location based services (such as advertising, search results, and other personalized content).
- To display the business address of registered car dealers in a map in advertisements of the respective dealer (for this purpose, we provide the address data to external service providers who may be located outside the European Economic Area (EEA). If a dealer does not want their location information to appear on a map in their ads, they are welcome to contact the mobile.de Customer Service);
- To prevent, detect, mitigate, and investigate fraud, security breaches or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
- To enforce our General Terms and Conditions, this privacy notice, or other policies.
We use your personal information to pursue our legitimate interests where your rights and freedoms do not outweigh these interests (Art. 6(1) (f) GDPR). We have implemented controls to balance our interests with your rights. On this basis, we use your data as follows:
- To improve our services, for example by reviewing information associated with stalled or crashed pages, allowing us to identify and fix problems and to give you a better user experience;
- To personalize, measure, and improve our advertising based on what you might like;
- To contact you via e-mail or postal mail in order to offer you coupons, discounts and special promotions, poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires and inform you about our services, as authorized by applicable law. This also includes contacting you about public policy matters, or other current events, related to your use of our services. This could include an invitation to join a petition, letter writing or other sort of public policy related campaigns;
- Deliver targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers which you might like;
- Measure the quality and performance of our e-mail marketing campaigns (e.g. by analyzing open and click rates).
- Monitor and improve the information security of our services.
With your consent (Art. 6(1) (a) GDPR), we may use your personal information to:
- Provide you with marketing via telephone calls, e-mail or text messages or invitations to participate in dealer reviews, surveys or market research.
- Provide you with marketing from other eBay Inc. corporate family members.
- Provide you with marketing from third parties.
- Customize third party advertising you might see on third party websites.
- Determine your precise geolocation to provide location-based services.
- Disclose your personal information to our respective partners for financing offers (see below).
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time and to exercise your right of objection.
We may use technologies that are considered to be automated decision making or profiling. We will not make any automated decisions about you that would significantly affect you, unless such a decision is necessary as part of a contract we have with you, we have obtained your consent, or we are required by law to use such technology.
Your choices about how we use your personal information
You can choose how we may use your personal information to send you marketing communications and show you personalized advertisements.
Marketing communication settings
If you do not wish to receive any marketing communications from us, you can unsubscribe from them using the link in the e-mail you have received or the communication settings options in your account (My mobile.de / Edit contact details / My profile) or contact us using a provided contact method (e.g. by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org) or unsubscribe via the opt-out link in the marketing or advertising message. We will not sell, provide or disclose your personal data to third parties for marketing purposes without your consent.
Personalized advertisements and usage analysis
If you do not wish to receive personalized advertisements or if you do not want us to collect pseudonymized data regarding your visit to our website and the use of our services, applications and tools, you may object or revoke your consent by following the instructions in the advertisement or in our statement about cookies, web beacons and similar technologies. Information on how usage-based online advertising is displayed on our and other websites and on how you can deactivate it can also be found directly on our corresponding information page. An objection or deactivation means that you will no longer receive personalized advertising but other personal data may still be collected as described in this privacy notice. Without your consent, we do not permit third parties to track or collect your personal information on our websites for their own advertising purposes.
Staying signed in
When you sign in to your account on our services, you stay signed in to your account for a certain amount of time until you log out. If you use our app, you will stay permanently signed in after registration.
If you are using a public or shared computer, we encourage you not to choose to stay signed in but to log out instead. You or any other user of the computer/browser you signed in on will be able to view and access most parts of your account and, while signed in, take all account actions without any further authorization on your part.
The specific actions and account activities that you or any other user of this computer/browser may take include:
- Post an ad or contact a dealer
- View your activity
- View the My mobile.de page
- View or edit your saved vehicles and searches
- Conduct after-sale activities, such as leaving feedback or submitting complaints.
If you attempt to change your password, User ID, any other account information or attempt other account activity beyond those listed above, you may be required to enter your password.
You can typically end your signed in session by either logging out and/or clearing your cookies. If certain browser privacy settings of your browser are enabled, simply closing your browser may also end your signed in session.
Your rights and how you can access, control and correct your personal information
You can access, review and change your personal information by signing into your account. Please update your personal information immediately if it changes or is incorrect. Please keep in mind that you may not be able to change or remove a public post once you publish it.
We respect your legal rights:
- You have the right to know what personal data we store about you (Art. 15 GDPR).
- Upon request, we will provide you with a copy of your personal data in a structured, common and machine-readable form (Art. 20 GDPR).
- If your personal data is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to request us to correct it or complete it (Art. 16 GDPR).
- You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data at any time.
- You may also ask us to delete or restrict your personal information; this right is determined by applicable law and may affect your ability to access some of our services (Art. 17 and 18 GDPR).
To request information and to find out if any fees may apply in accordance with applicable law, please contact us using the contact details below. Even if you have a right to information or modification or deletion of your personal data, in certain circumstances and in accordance with applicable national law, we may refuse to disclose such information or refuse to correct or delete your personal data.
If you ask us to completely or partially discontinue the processing of your personal information, or if you revoke your consent to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the purposes stated in this privacy notice, we may not be able to offer you all the services and customer support our users have under this Privacy Notice and our General Terms and Conditions.
At your request, we will close your account and delete your personal information as soon as possible, based on your account activity and in accordance with applicable law. Please use this form to obtain personal data used by mobile.de or to have this data deleted.
How we might share your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to other members of the eBay Inc. group of companies or third parties for the following purposes:
eBay Inc. corporate family members, who may use it to:
- Provide joint content and services (such as registration, transactions, and customer support)
- Detect and prevent potentially fraudulent and unlawful acts, violations of our General Terms and Conditions or violations of data security;
- Provide you personalized advertising
- Improve their products, sites, applications, services, tools, and marketing communications.
- Members of our eBay Inc. group of companies will use your personal information to send you marketing communications only if you have consented to receive such communications from them or if otherwise permitted by law.
To mobile.de dealers:
- To carry out a contact request initiated by you to the respective mobile.de dealer;
- To enable the mobile.de dealers selected by you for your express sale appointment to contact you using your contact details (name, e-mail address, phone number);
- As part of a financing request made by you for a vehicle offered by the respective mobile.de dealer.
To third-party service providers and financial institutions partners:
- To assist us in providing our services (including the feedback solution), in payment processing and in the provision of personalized advertising;
- To help us with advanced presentation options, including the integration of maps in ads which provide dealer location;
- Assist us in the prevention, detection, containment and investigation of potentially unlawful acts, violations of our General Terms and Conditions, fraud and / or security breaches, bill-to-cash and other business transactions;
- Financial institutions and other partners in the financial sector with whom we work together to provide you with financial products such as vehicle finance and to provide insurance or financing comparisons. These financial partners use your personal data only if and to the extent to which you have given your consent.
- with whom we cooperate in accordance with our General Terms and Conditions to publish or advertise your advertisements and their content on their websites or in their applications and tools. If we also transmit personal information to third parties with the content of your advertisements, this is done solely on the basis of a contract that restricts the use of personal data by the third party and obliges them to implement security measures with regard to this data. In particular, third parties are not permitted to sell, lease or otherwise disclose personal information contained in your advertisements to any third party. When your information is submitted to the members of our group of companies, such restrictions result from our common Binding Corporate Rules (BCRs, see below).
To law enforcement authorities, to third parties in court proceedings and to statutorily authorized third parties:
- To comply with our legal requirements, enforce our General Terms and Conditions, respond to claims that a listing or other content violates the rights of others, or protect third party's rights, property or safety.
- To law enforcement or governmental agencies, or authorized third parties, in response to a request for information in connection to a criminal investigation or alleged offence, illegal activity or any other activity that exposes us, you, or any other user to legal liability. We will only disclose information we deem relevant to the investigation or inquiry, such as name, city, postcode, telephone number, e-mail address, IP address, ad content, fraud complaints;
- To right holders who have entered into a confidentiality agreement with us in connection with an investigation for fraud, infringement of intellectual property or any other unlawful act, as we deem necessary or reasonable in our sole discretion. In such cases, we will disclose the name, address, city, postcode, country, phone number, e-mail address, company name and ad content; among other provisions, the confidentiality agreement set out that the data may only be used in connection with legal proceedings and/or obtaining legal advice and/or answering questions by the user who placed the ad;
- To credit bureaus, where permissible by applicable law;
- To third parties who institute legal proceedings or are involved in legal proceedings, if they provide us with a legal order, court order or equivalent legal act, or if we can reasonably believe that disclosure of the data is necessary to avert imminent danger to life and limb or financial loss, or required to report a suspected wrongful act.
Change of Ownership
If we are subject to a merger or acquisition with/by another company, we may share information with them in accordance with our global privacy standards. Should such an event occur, we will require that the new combined entity follow this Privacy Notice with respect to your personal information. If we collect, use, disclose or store your personal information for any purposes not covered in this privacy notice, you will receive prior notification of the processing of your personal information for the new purposes.
How long we keep your personal information
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary for the provision of the services you request or for any other necessary purposes, such as the fulfillment of our legal obligations, the resolution of disputes, and the enforcement of our General Terms and Conditions.
Our specific retention times for personal information are documented in our retention guidelines. How long we retain personal information can vary significantly based on the services we provide and on our legal obligations. The following factors typically influence retention periods:
How long will the personal information be needed to provide our services? This includes such things as maintaining and improving the performance of our products, keeping our systems secure, and maintaining appropriate business and financial records. This is the general rule that establishes the baseline for most of our data retention periods.
Is the personal information sensitive? If so, a shortened retention time is generally appropriate.
Have you given consent for a longer retention period? If so, we will retain data in accordance with your consent.
Are we subject to a legal, contractual, or similar obligation to retain your personal information? Examples can include mandatory data retention laws in the applicable jurisdiction, government orders to preserve data relevant to an investigation, or personal information retained for the purposes of litigation.
After it is no longer necessary for us to retain your personal information, we will dispose of it in a secure manner according to our data retention and deletion policies.
Cookies and similar technologies
The above statement also provides you with more information about our use of procedures for analyzing the use of our websites, applications, services and tools (including Google Analytics and the "SCMnG" measurement method) and your ability to opt out of or to deactivate these features.
How we protect your personal information
We protect your personal information using technical and organizational security measures to reduce the risks in connection with loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure and alteration. Some of the safeguards we use are firewalls and data encryption, physical access controls to our data centers, and information access authorization controls. For more information about staying safe while buying and selling online, or to report an issue with your account please visit our Security Center.
Global Privacy Standards
mobile.de is part of the eBay Classifieds Group, owned by eBay Inc. eBay Inc. has global privacy standards known as Binding Corporate Rules (BCRs). With these, we commit ourselves to protect your personal data and to comply with our privacy obligations and global security standards, regardless of where in our group of companies your personal information is collected, used or stored. Our BCRs have been recognized by several data protection authorities in the European Union. This means that throughout the eBay Inc. group of companies we treat your personal information in accordance with the privacy standards of the European Union. For more information about our BCRs and our global privacy standards, visit our eBay Privacy Center.
Other important privacy information
When you share your personal information on our sites or applications – what happens?
Other users have access to the information that you share with mobile.de or pass on to other users. Our site allows users to post advertisements and other information and share it with other users so that other users can access this information. Since you can also connect directly with other users through our services, we recommend that you pay close attention to how you publish your personal information and to whom you submit it. You are solely responsible for the personal data that you publish and transmit to other users via our services, and we cannot guarantee the protection or security of the data shared in this way.
Your responsibility for personal data that you receive via mobile.de
If you communicate with another user (such as a potential buyer) and receive their personal information (such as name, e-mail address, or other contact details), you are the data controller of such information independently of us and must comply with applicable privacy laws. You must only use the personal data to which you have access to for the purpose of processing the contact via mobile.de and the transaction resulting from it, as well as only for the purposes to which the user to whom the information relates has expressly consented.
Unwanted or threatening e-mails
We do not tolerate misuse of our services. You may not use our messaging tools to send spam or other content that violates our General Terms and Conditions. You may also not add other users to your email distribution lists, call them for business purposes, or send them text messages for business purposes, even if that user has purchased something from you, unless the user has given their explicit consent. Sending unsolicited or threatening e-mails or text messages is a violation of our General Terms and Conditions. Please report such spam or fraudulent emails to Customer Service. If you believe that your account has been misused, please contact us at email@example.com.
We automatically scan messages sent through our messaging tools and may manually filter them to check for spam, viruses, phishing attacks, other malicious activity and illegal or prohibited content, and possibly block the whole message or any prohibited content. However, we do not permanently store messages sent through these tools.
Our websites are general audience websites and not intended for children. We do not knowingly collect personal information from users deemed to be children under their respective national laws.
Third Party Privacy Practices
This Privacy Notice addresses only our use and handling of personal information we collect from you in connection with providing you our services. If you disclose your information to a third party, or visit a third party website via a link from our services, their privacy notices and practices will apply to any personal information you provide to them or they collect from you.
We cannot guarantee the privacy or security of your personal information once you provide it to a third party and we encourage you to evaluate the privacy and security policies of your trading partner before entering into a transaction and choosing to share your personal information. This is true even where these third parties are buyers or dealers on our website.
If you have any questions or complaints about this privacy notice, our global privacy standards or how we deal with data, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our Customer Service.
Your right to file complaints with a Data Protection Supervisory Authority remains unaffected. Our competent Data Protection Supervisory Authority is:
Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz und für das Recht auf Akteneinsicht Brandenburg (Brandenburg Federal State Commissioner for Data Protection and for the Right to Access Records) Stahnsdorfer Damm 77 14532 Kleinmachnow Germany http://www.lda.brandenburg.de
If you still have concerns regarding data protection or the use of data, or feel your inquiry has not been handled to your satisfaction, you can also visit our independent conflict resolution provider at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request based in the US (free).